Gunther Eysenbach MD MPH
Senior Scientist, Centre for Global eHealth Innovation, 190 Elizabeth Street, Toronto M5G 2C4, Canada
Phone: (+1) (416) 583-2040
Fax: (+1) 416 340 3595
Individual and Institutional Memberships provide value-added services and information, such as PDF files of issues and articles. Information on different membership models is available under "Support & Membership". To view a list of current membership institutions, please log in and click membership in your profile.
NEW: We now also offer 3yr/5yr/10yr membership specials! Prepay for 3, 5, or 10 years and enjoy significant discounts and protection from price increases. Also ideal for researchers who want to budget for JMIR membership in their grant applications, or for using unspent grant money or end-of-year funds.
How to Become a Member:
If your institution is not yet a member, contact your department head or library and lobby for an institutional membership. If you are a researcher, budget for a 3, 5, or 10 year membership in your grant proposals. Meanwhile, become an individual member - show your support for this journal and Open Access publishing, and enjoy enhanced features such as access to PDF versions of the articles. Please let us know if you have any concerns.
In order to request an institutional membership, please click on any of the institutional membership and fill out the form below the table.
The Subscription Manager will take care of setting up your subscription and you will be notified by email when it is ready. Once the subscription is set up, you can log in again to make a payment.
Benefits of Publishing with JMIR
We offer individual and institutional memberships for a nominal (minimal!) fee - show your support for JMIR and Open Access publishing, and enjoy the benefits of value added services for members as outlined below.
List of institutional members
Benefits of Membership (Individual and Institutional)
- unlimited access to and downloading of all past and future PDF versions of JMIR articles and complete JMIR issues in PDF format (this alone is a >$560 value!)
- forthcoming: Further member-only services on the JMIR eHealth Research Portal (eHealth job opportunities and faculty positions, access to communities of eHealth experts, etc.)
- (individual memberships only) Discounts for conferences, events, products, and services from organizations we partner with.
- (certain institutional membership schemes only): Article Processing Fee (APF) 1 waivers
For a free sample issue go to this page.
Departmental/Institutional Membership and subscriptions for libraries
Academic institutions, such as departments or universities, companies, libraries, or other groups can become institutional JMIR members. This is part of an effort to build a Global Network of Centres of Excellence in eHealth and Internet research. All members of the institution enjoy the same benefits as individual members (see above), plus (depending on the type of membership) additional benefits such as Article Processing Fee (APF) 1 waivers.
A electronic PDF subscription (EL membership) or print subscription is also possible and especially recommended for libraries.
Members (employees, faculty, student) of an institutional member may be automatically identified and authorized by IP range recognition, email pattern matching, or through manual linking of user accounts with an institutional member.
We also have membership options for funding agencies and societies/associations or other groups (please contact the editor for details).
To view a list of institutions which are currently a member, please login and click "Membership Status" on your user homepage. If you don't find your institution there, ask your acquisition librarian, department head, or budget for JMIR membership in your next grant proposal!
1 Article Processing Fee waivers: The Article Processing Fee is a charge to be paid by authors publishing in JMIR who are from non-member institutions - see Fee Schedule in the Instructions for Authors.
Some additional rules for APF waivers in the context of an institutional membership:
- the nominal submission fee ($90) and the (optional) Fast Track Fee is not covered by the institutional membership
- peer-review fees for protocol peer-review are not included
- APFs are payable upon acceptance of an article and can only be waived if the institution of the corresponding author is a member at the time of submission and acceptance. We strongly suggest to apply for membership status before or on submission of an article. During the submission process, the submitting author needs to indicate which member institution the corresponding author is affiliated with. The corresponding authors' department and address must match exactly the member organizations' adress we have on file.
- APFs cannot be retrospectively waived for papers already submitted, accepted or published.
- APFs will only be waived if the corresponding author is clearly affiliated with the institutional member at the time of submission and if the published corresponding authors' address matches the address of the member. For membership A, the corresponding authors' department or research unit must match the department name of the institutional member. For membership B, the corresponding author has to be faculty, full-time student or employee of the university or institution which is an institutional member.
Non-credit card payments (all memberships):
If you are unable to pay by paypal/credit card, please issue a cheque, made payable to "University Health Network", and mail it to the Centre for Global eHealth Innovation, Attn. G. Eysenbach (address see editorial office). A 7% handling fee applies for all memberships and APF's which are not paid through PayPal or Psigate (e.g. cheque payments or subscriptions ordered through Swets). If you are a library, please note that we explicitely discourage setting up memberships through Swets Zeitlinger or other journal subscription agents. While possible (and done by some libraries), this usually leads to significant delays and confusion.
Cancellation Policy (all memberships): Membership fees are usually annual fees payable in advance on a yearly basis for the following 12 months (exceptions: membership specials which are prepaid for 3, 5, or 10 years), and - once paid - are nonrefundable. IMPORTANT: Paypal defines a subscription as a recurring payment. Memberships paid through PayPal are automatically renewed (paid agaon by Paypal) each year unless the subscription is cancelled or the funding source (e.g. credit card) Paypal has on file expires. To cancel your Paypal recurring payment, login at PayPal and follow PayPal's instructions on how to cancel a subscription. You need to find the transaction where you set up the subscription and click the cancel button. Please do not contact us to cancel your recurring payment, as you have set this up with paypal, not with us. A subscription cancellation will cancel the automatic annual renewal (recurring payment), but will not affect membership for the current 12-month term, and we are unable to refund portions of the membership fee for "unused" months within the current term. Non-Paypal membership payments made through other means (psigate, cheque etc.) will NOT be renewed automatically. To renew, make a payment through your user homepage.